What's this blog really about?

You may notice a variety of topics here - from business, to charity promotion, even to local news, but the primary reason this blog was created was to alert readers to the hostile atmosphere and sexual harassment at The Danville Register & Bee. The readers and creator of this blog want a FULL FRONT PAGE apology in the Danville Register & Bee, plus the disciplining of those individuals involved. Until then, we'll continue to post regular updates. To tolerate THIS kind of behavior by a major media network is intolerable. And this isn't just ONE instance. Media General has been sued nationwide for racism and sexism, yet they CONTINUE to keep the offenders employed. Why? And why am I doing this? TRUTH compels me.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Federal Crime? The journalism experts weigh in...

Danville Register and Bee clerk/typist dubbed "Human Resources" person Ann Austin wrote to tell me I was committing a "FEDERAL CRIME" by posting my clips to my website. So I asked the experts at Poynter.org - a website for journalists. Their response? Read Joe Grimm's response for yourself.

Joe writes a column called "Ask the Recruiter." Joe Grimm is the recruiting and development editor for the Detroit Free Press. He also recruits for Gannett and runs the JobsPage Web site for Poynter.org. From that, he published "Breaking In: The www.JobsPage.com Guide to Newspaper Internships". In 2008, Joe will publish "The Best of Ask the Recruiter," drawn from his Poynter Career Center column. Thanks Joe!!!


Poynteronline
Ask the Recruiter


MONDAY, JULY 14, 2008
Is It a Federal Crime to Post My Clips?

Q. Someone from human resources told me it is a federal crime for me to post my clips and samples of photos I wrote or took while employed at the newspaper on my Web site.

I know of half a dozen other reporters who do this, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. What's the fair use law on posting your work as portfolio pieces?

Lawless

A. Fortunately for you, the FBI is too busy keeping the homeland safe and rooting out Internet sex predators, or I am sure they would show up at your house.

Seriously, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

All I can think is that the person who warned you against committing a federal crime must be thinking about copyright law. Before anyone is concerned about the thousands of journalists who post or photocopy attributed examples of their work -- thousands do it -- the feds will first deal with the felons who violate the FBI warnings at the beginning of videotapes or who rip the little tags off pillows.

If you are still worried, post links instead of the actual stories and photos.

There, now that I have been a wise guy, would a lawyer like to weigh in on this before Lawless gets busted? Click here to comment.

No comments: