What's this blog really about?

You may notice a variety of topics here - from business, to charity promotion, even to local news, but the primary reason this blog was created was to alert readers to the hostile atmosphere and sexual harassment at The Danville Register & Bee. The readers and creator of this blog want a FULL FRONT PAGE apology in the Danville Register & Bee, plus the disciplining of those individuals involved. Until then, we'll continue to post regular updates. To tolerate THIS kind of behavior by a major media network is intolerable. And this isn't just ONE instance. Media General has been sued nationwide for racism and sexism, yet they CONTINUE to keep the offenders employed. Why? And why am I doing this? TRUTH compels me.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Constantly amazed....

I complain about a reporter who films the breasts of women without their knowledge or consent and what is the response I get from Media General employees? "You weren't doing your job." Uh - yeah, blowing the whistle on sexual harassment is my job.

Steve Kaylor even tried to play spoiler - by going to my web site (www.ravenscreekphotography.smugmug.com) and attempting to buy a photo of a PDF of a a front page of The Danville Register & Bee I had posted in my portfolio. He said I was "attempting to benefit commercially" from selling PDF's of the newspaper. He can't get people to buy the real thing - how does he think I'm going to benefit commercially by his paying $1.35 or $1.85 - whatever it was, for a PDF with a photo I took with MY CAMERA? My friends at Smugmug alerted me, canceled the order and then informed Steve his order was cancelled. Not much of a commercial benefit was it Steve.

See? Rather than admit they were wrong - they're trying to shut me up and attack me for speaking out. Typical. Then he had Ann email me and threaten to charge me with a Federal Crime. Just brilliant. Just brilliant. Now - part of what I told the EEOC was that I was being singled out and retaliated against. So, did Steve attempt to contact all the other Media General employees who post clips and photos and PDF's on their websites? Um. I doubt it. So - retaliation proved there. Just admit it. The paper made a mistake. You tolerated a hostile workplace and sexual harassment and bullying. When the bullying didn't force me out you just kept looking...But I wasn't a John Coscia. Explain why everyone waited so long to fire him? 13 citations!?! Eluding a police officer?! A newspaper reporter - an EDITOR -a MANAGER eludes and has TWO DUI's and he holds onto his job but you want to charge me with a Federal Crime for posting a PDF to my portfolio like how many other reporters (thousands!!) all over the country do?? PLEASE.

If you could have found anything else other than "You spend too much time on Poynter.org (A journalism website for journalists interested in what's happening in the PROFESSION of journalism) to legitimately complain about - they would have. I'm not the one who made such a huge mistake in Sting that I got the company sued. I haven't been there for 12 weeks, but I still see errors in the paper daily. I got a text message the other day that said said the Governor's name was "Timoty"....yeah. And then there was the sports story in which someone "SH*T a homerun...." lots of fans came out to see that happen again...

Guess it's hard to say I'm not doing my job when Guy Lucas' last post to the Lucas list said otherwise. Is it that you don't think Mac did anything wrong? I know a lot of people - including his victims, that would disagree with you on that. I know they've said as much too. So why not apologize?

No comments: