What's this blog really about?

You may notice a variety of topics here - from business, to charity promotion, even to local news, but the primary reason this blog was created was to alert readers to the hostile atmosphere and sexual harassment at The Danville Register & Bee. The readers and creator of this blog want a FULL FRONT PAGE apology in the Danville Register & Bee, plus the disciplining of those individuals involved. Until then, we'll continue to post regular updates. To tolerate THIS kind of behavior by a major media network is intolerable. And this isn't just ONE instance. Media General has been sued nationwide for racism and sexism, yet they CONTINUE to keep the offenders employed. Why? And why am I doing this? TRUTH compels me.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

I've been threatened

Ann Austin, Human Resource person at The Danville Register & Bee, wrote to threaten me today. She said my posting of images and writing clips to my portfolio is a "Federal Crime" and that it violates newspaper policy. Really? Show me where. Then threaten the other Media General reporters who do and have done the same thing. Under the Fair Use Law I can post images to my portfolio.

This is, Ann wrote, "A significant matter." Funny huh? They have a male reporter filming women's breasts with Media General cameras and editing his own (he joked) version of "Girls gone wild" starring the wife of a local judge and a business woman, two business women actually...and Media General doesn't think THAT is significant...yet my posting my writing clip of the story I wrote about coyotes is "a Federal crime."

These are the people you trust to report what's news in Danville. A copy editor who plays heavy metal music (a "god" in the heavy metal realm apparently) who belongs or belonged to a band called "Children in Heat" (he was responsible in part for approving the photo that accompanied the story about sex in Danville....He's divorced or divorcing now...after dating one of his employees....that's acceptable behavior. But posting a clip among dozens of other clips is a, and I quote Ann, "FEDERAL CRIME."

So - dear readers, The Danville Register & Bee won't fire a sports editor for two DUI's, no drivers' license, evading police and a total of 13 citations...but they will charge ME with a "FEDERAL CRIME" for posting a story I wrote to my website so other editors who have some human decency and want to see how I write can read it...can see my writing. Odd isn't it? What's the real agenda here?




No comments: